Let me explain a little of Tijuana, Mexico. There is Tijuana River which is a great part of Tijuana, and it is also a river of problems. The river rolls back and forth between the United States and Mexico. It runs through the heavily populated areas of Tijuana, then up into southern San Diego, California and out to the ocean.
Off course, at the age of 5 you
start realizing a little more things in life and retain a lot more. I was shy little girl going with my parents
down south. My first realization was when
we crossing a border, which at the time I did not know any difference. Although I did realize that on one the side
before crossing the border was really nice; however, once you crossed the
border it was not all that clean and beautiful such as the other side. Everyone spoke Spanish, but that was not the
problem. The destituteness that was in
the area shocked me the most. I would
see mothers carrying a young one on the back, as well as one in the front along
with her other children, ranging from toddler to approximately 9 years old
begging in the streets and their clothes was filthy; the hygiene was not at its
best either. As a result of me seeing
this, I thought to be sure the food was not safe to eat. Off course, I would not eat when visiting
Tijuana. Although we would go to a
restaurant and the appearance was fine, the atmosphere was a little
different. I would see servers in
folklore type dresses with beautiful bright colors and the Mariachi musicians.
Needless to say, the older I got
the better I understood their culture and differences between the poverty and
mid-class. I began to be a little more
open on these visits and little by little started eating the various types of
food platters they offered. However, the
view of poverty in Tijuana has been a life everlasting impression.
It's amazing how far we've come in society & yet, there are others who are in bondage & suffering.
ReplyDeleteevery where is different, i guess that's why I wanted to travel so I can see how others lived their lives and the changes people go thru in life
ReplyDelete